greedyG
Site Admin

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 pm

My FIBS username/password doesn't work, why?
GreedyGammon does not use the FIBS server. It has its own server at GreedyGammon.com. Your FIBS username and passwords don't work on GreedyGammon and your GreedyGammon username will not work on FIBS as they are not related

The installer will not run on Vista
Please right click the installer setup file go to "Properties" and click "Unblock" down at the bottom of that dialog. Yeah.. go figure. I have no idea where that came from and why Vista decided it wants to block the setup program.

Why can't I double?
GreedyGammon will automatically switch to auto roll mode when the cube is dead, or it is crawford game. When is the cube dead? When your match score + the cube value is equal to or exceeds the match length such that you have no use for any further doubling.

How do I invite someone to play?
GreedyGammon does not use the FIBS system of invitations. You must first setup a match length by clicking on the new match setup icon top left on the toolbar. When you have setup a match you want to play, others can join you if they want to play the same match length as you have set up. Most of the basic instructions are found in the "Quick Start Guide" under the help menu of GreedyGammon

How do I create a username for GreedyGammon?
The old way of creating a username on GreedyGammon (using the forum username/password) has been deprecated.
Now all new accounts are created from within GreedyGammon and password resets as well. It is important to use a real email address when you create your account so that you can get authorization codes to reset your password if you forget your password.
Well now the new registration is from the greedygammon website. Since Greedygammon is now an offline player, there is no server to manage usernames so all is being kept on the website hosting site.

How do I play an offline game?
GreedyGammon will revert to offline mode if the server goes offline. Or you can select offline from the login options. To play offline bot game while in offline mode, use the "play" icon top left. It functions as a new bot game setup when the server is offline.

This is no longer accurate as of Greedygammon 2.0 which only plays offline mode but with ratings enabled.

Does GreedyGAmmon run on MAC?
GreedyGammon will only run on MS Windows XP, Vista Win-7

How do I move the small number on the dice first?
Click the alternate mouse button to move the small number first

Where is the jf.mat file for my games?
GreedyGammon automatically saves your match in jf.mat format in your documents folder under GreedyG=>jfmat

Is GreedyGammon the same as FIBZILLA?
GreedyGammon is not a FIBS client like the previous FIBZILLA and 3DFIBS. GreedyGammon does not connect to fibs.com. It connects to its own server. Your FIBS username and passwords dont work on GreedyGammon and your GreedyGammon username will not work on FIBS as they are not related.

GreedyG (gnubg bot) sure wins a lot of games. Does it cheat?
No, it does not cheat. It plays at a world class level which is good enough to beat most people most of the time. By the way, I did not create the gnubg player. That code was done by some Phd level computer scientists. You can read up on it at http://www.gnubg.org. The code is free and open source for anyone to examine it.

What is Greedy Bearoff / Auto Race
Greedy Bearoff or Auto Race as the option is called now, is a setting to allow you to sit back and let the computer make all the plays when the game turns into a no contact race. GreedyG will be making your moves for you so you can rest assured that the best possible move for the roll will be played. Since it is a bot generated move, you will sometimes see some peculiar plays when the chance of winning is zero. Also if the position a few moves away from a gammon save, the bots sometimes wait till the opponent is one roll away from gammon and then they take off one piece. It may appear that the Auto Roll makes mistakes but it never loses any equity. It always makes the best play for the score. If the match is already lost it doesn't bother to take off a piece. Some positions require certain kinds of moves to lower the chance of getting gammoned. In those cases, the bot will certainly play better than most players. GreedyGammon offers this setting for the sake of convenience. Future versions may offer a disable option for players who wish not to offer this advantage to their opponent. Here is an example of a mistake you can make during bearoff if you are not experienced.
http://greedygammon.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=167

When will player vs player be implemented
Player vs Player is currently available starting with versions 1.01+ YOu can play either the house bot GreedyG_x or invite your friends to play a match. the new version also has 2 new board themes with more coming soon.

UPdate: Player vs Player is no more. Only bot games offline with ratings enabled.

How can I win more games at backgammon?
The best way to improve your game is to play lots of matches against the bots. You will lose most matches but each match is a learning experience. Analyze your games with the free software at gnubg.org. You do that by importing the jf.mat file of your game into gnubg. Those logs can be found in your documents folder under GreedyG->jfmat. No need to do extensive analysis. Just glance over the moves and look for the red outlined plays that indicate a major blunder. Take a look at what the correct play was. If the analysis says you played well then its as good as a win and you lost only because the bot got lucky rolls. The main thing to understand about playing the bots is that even the experts only win 50% of their games against the bots. The point is not to win. It is to play as close to a perfect game as possible given the dice that you rolled. If you aim for that goal, the wins will come and your rating will go way up. Also keep in mind that rating formula is such that when your rating is low you will gain a big boost from each win. So you rating will creep up as you play more games even if it seems that you are losing. To play backgammon u gotta be TOUGH :D If you get knocked down, brush yourself off and get right back up and keep fighting. Focus on making the best possible move for each roll no matter how far behind you might be. You will be amazed at some of the comebacks you will manage to pull off if you refuse to give up.
Backgammon is a luck/skill game similar to card games like poker and gin rummy. Estimating and maximizing your winning probability is key
http://www.download-texas-holdem-poker.com

Return to “Questions Comments”