admin
Site Admin
Years playing backgammon: 20+ Learned to play on fibs.com playing bots and review with gnubg analysis FIBS rating 1750-1850

Vote for new features

What would you like to see on GreedyGammon
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON
No registration required!
Install and play backgammon against the computer!
Detailed how to installation guide with screenshots
Check out backgammonforums.com another nice bg forum

panbg2

Re: Vote for new features

Your boards are very dark. Please add light board.

admin
Site Admin
Years playing backgammon: 20+ Learned to play on fibs.com playing bots and review with gnubg analysis FIBS rating 1750-1850

panbg2 wrote:Your boards are very dark. Please add light board.
yes, dark choc theme is definitely too dark but the woodstock theme is not so bad is it?. More boards will be added. If anyone has experience with the 3D design software Blender and would like to make new themes with different colors and patterns I can provide the template file to someone I can trust will not steal it for another competing bg program. I paid to have that board designed i own the copyright and it can only be used legally for Greedygammon
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON

admin
Site Admin

MichaelP7 wrote:I don't know what to vote :-) human Player Vs human Player is already available so...?
Anyway do we really need the software to design more boards?
All we need is a jpg image of board, background, the checkers plus the data.
I tried some boards i had designed myself for 3Dfibs renamed the folder to "woodstock" but unfortunately they don't work.
I think we must first learn what the exe file does . It seems to me it first checks your screen resolution. if it is 1024 it jumps to the 1024 installation folder. It then jumps into the woodstock folder by default.Never goes to the dark chocolate one. So it gets all it's data from there. Am I right so far?
If yes then we can easily install new files in there, albeit we have to keep the folder name as "woodstock".

By the way my screen resolution is 1152. I had to change screen resolution to 1280 (which creates rather small letters for my eyes) each time i logged in to GG. I solved this problem by renaming the 1024 folder to 1152. It seems you can rename any of the other folders to 1152 too..
excellent solution. I wouldn't have thought of it myself.

The Blender software is a good way to make nice looking boards because all the design is already done all you have to do is pick an image for the textures and color. That is how I made the woodstock theme I had to do the checkers and dice myself though. The Blender software creates all the shadows and details to get a good board with the same dimensions as the current board. You pick one texture and color for the board, one each for the alternating triangles. Thats it. A new board is made. Then you can resize the board to whatever size you want it to be using any graphic program. Making the checkers and dice is a bit tedious but easy for someone who is experienced in graphics like gimp. If someone is ready to tackle this, I will refresh my memory how to do it again and make a step by step forum post about it.
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON

admin
Site Admin

MichaelP7 wrote:I don't know what to vote :-) human Player Vs human Player is already available so...?
yes sorry,that is a very old vote post. Will see if it can be updated without killing the catagory
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON

admin
Site Admin

MichaelP7 wrote:i understand you are referring to this software maareyes , no?
http://www.blender.org/
the software itself is free. as for creating a template- well- it should be easy. I will try it...

Yes that is the 3D design open source software "Blender" It is a wonderful tool and as GNUBG is also open source so anyone can download and use it without paying hundreds of $$ as many competing softwares of that type cost.

The Blender project for the current GreedyGammon boards allows anyone to simply look online for a texture (wood or any other texture like marble) pattern they like and render a new board with that color and texture.
It is very easy and could be used to create many nice boards by users. Michael, if you are familiar with this software and would like a crack at making a new board I can send you the project. The project only renders the board. The checkers and dice and the bear off checker images must be done separate. But those are easy just round objects and cubes. I used a freeware program called "ZPaint" to do them. It was tedious but worth it to get exactly the board and checkers i like.

The awesome freelance graphic artist who designed the Blender template for GreedyGammon boards is Juan Pancho. Here is is YouTube channel with more of his graphic art work on display
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH9QAGZTSD7-tERIB6EjEmQ
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON

Return to “Vote for new features”