admin
Site Admin
Years playing backgammon: 20+ Learned to play on fibs.com playing bots and review with gnubg analysis FIBS rating 1750-1850

go to bed

"go to bed" is the luck factor description that gnubg renders when your luck is the worst it could be. So here is an example of such luck. I opened with 2-1 (I am playing red, it is upside down sorry) which i played the standard split the back checkers and bring one down from the mid point. The bot rolled 55 and hit. I missed, got doubled, took the cube (correctly, a drop would have been a .495 blunder which is huge like 4X mistake) and that was it. Never got off the bar.
gotobed.jpg
Analysis is important in these cases. You don't want to form the incorrect opinion that you should have dropped the cube.NO! :D in the long run dropping this position will do far more damage in losses than this single unlucky episode. My rating for this match was "Supernatural" So neither one of my 2 moves was an error, the 2-1 and the take. So Supernatural is a bit over the top for 2 moves but the important factor is to understand that you made NO mistakes. If the same position comes up again you can take AGAIN knowing it is the correct action. Remember the 75/25 cube rule? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=153&p=337&hilit=cube+rule#p337 Dropping the cube is not free. You are losing a point each time. It is therefore imperative that we understand the break even point at which taking and dropping converge so we can make the appropriate decision and not needlessly lose too many point by dropping everything.

Thanks to gnubg (http://www.gnubg.org) with all the smart computer science ninja warriors who volunteered their time and smarts to provide us with this software that helps us with our favorite game :D
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON
No registration required!
Install and play backgammon against the computer!
Detailed how to installation guide with screenshots
Check out backgammonforums.com another nice bg forum

Return to “Position Analysis”