admin
Site Admin
Years playing backgammon: 20+ Learned to play on fibs.com playing bots and review with gnubg analysis FIBS rating 1750-1850

bad luck + blunder

Here is a situation where you might be crying about your bad luck and miss the possible blunder on one of the two options for this 3-3 roll
This is a 3 pt match score is 0-0. White to move

HAPPY NEW 2016 YEAR EVERYBODY !!! :D
Attachments
backgammon_blunder.jpg
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON
No registration required!
Install and play backgammon against the computer!
Detailed how to installation guide with screenshots
Check out backgammonforums.com another nice bg forum

admin
Site Admin
Years playing backgammon: 20+ Learned to play on fibs.com playing bots and review with gnubg analysis FIBS rating 1750-1850

Re: bad luck + blunder

thanks to our friends at rec.games.backgammon we learned that there are 2 extra shots that hit us with the blot on the 5 pt. 4-2 and 4-1. It is a beginner mistake and I am embarassed I would make such an error :oops: :D

Yeah, so counting shots is a pain. :roll: But basically a direct shot for one number is 11 rolls. So here if the blot is on the 4 pt, any 4 hits, [4-1] [4-2] [4-3] [4-4] [4-5] [4-6] [1-4] [2-4] [3-4] [5-4] [6-4] that is 11 rolls. So even if some of them are virtual duplicates like 3-4 and 4-3. We still count them as separate rolls for calculation convenience since 6x6 is 36. And 3-1 hits so total hits on the 4 pt is 12 rolls. If the blot is on the 5 pt we have the 11 rolls for a direct shot as shown for the direct 4. And 3-2 hits for 12 shots AND we also hit with 4-1 and 4-2 for total of 14 shots. So we are leaving 2 extra shots if the blot is on the 5 pt. Since we don't gain anything by leaving those extra shots, it is a mistake. So this type of position is easy to remember. To minimize your shots, scoot as far to the right side edge as possible.
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON

admin
Site Admin

Re: bad luck + blunder

I just noticed I didn't count 3-1 and 1-3 as 2 rolls and also the other extra hitting rolls should have been duplicated. So should have been a total of 15 rolls vs 19 with 4 extra shots that hit with the wrong play.
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON

Return to “Position Analysis”