admin
Site Admin
Years playing backgammon: 20+ Learned to play on fibs.com playing bots and review with gnubg analysis FIBS rating 1750-1850

GreedyGammon major overhaul

Hello GreedyGammoneers,

GreedyGammon will be going through a major overhaul over the coming months. The code base some parts of which are over a decade old is ready for an overhaul. The program started as a FIBS client and on top of that was added an offline gnubg player. Then it was converted to play on its own server. All this has created a huge mess of code that is impossible to maintain. A better designed product will be launched when the update is complete.

There is a bug with player vs player where a rematch causes the score to be corrupted. This is a side effect of bad design which will be fixed in the update. I cannot patch it as it is just too screwed up. So please restart the game if youwant to play a rematch with someone to avoid the score starting out as 3-0 or something like that.

I've been putting this off so long but the day of reckoning has finally arrived and i am ready to roll up my sleeves and get busy fixin the mess :D Thanks for your patience and I hope the current version is stable enough to enjoy at least the bot games.
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON
No registration required!
Install and play backgammon against the computer!
Detailed how to installation guide with screenshots
Check out backgammonforums.com another nice bg forum

admin
Site Admin
Years playing backgammon: 20+ Learned to play on fibs.com playing bots and review with gnubg analysis FIBS rating 1750-1850

Re: GreedyGammon major overhaul

On second thoughts umm... yeah.. lets just keep patching it up till it works. Too much code there to rewrite. Consider yourselves official greedygammon beta testers :D
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON

Musil

With a smile " when I have a dress and it became a patchwork due to reppairs it a lot better just to get myself a new dress instead

admin
Site Admin

GreedyGammon 1.0.49 has been released. It is not a complete overhaul as proposed above. but some structural improvements to the code were made which should hopefully have it running smoother.

Here is a list of some of the fixes and new features
========================
Version 1.0.49 fixes and improvements

- Timer not resetting correctly on player vs player games
- Replay match score does not reset to 0-0
- Some structural issues in the code causing side effects were fixed
- Some improvement in how the auto roll and auto race options work
- Dice are sent from the server for improved security
-Added encryption to game strings sent throught the server for added security

- An auto gnubg.exe launcher with the current completed match Turn this on/off in the end game window option bottom left. You must have gnubg installed in program files folder for this to work. If you installed it elsewhere set the path in prefereneces.
==================================

The new gnubg launching feature if great. I used it just now and found a huge blunder which I have posted in the gnubg section. No excuse not to run analysis now since the match is loaded up all ready to go in gnubg. Here is a screen shot of the option you need to set for this to work if you have already installed gnubg into program files folder (default) of your computer. If you installed it elsewhere you can set the path in preferences.
gnubg.jpg
gnubg.jpg (25.91 KiB) Viewed 14070 times
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON

Musil

when you have checked the match to be analysed after the match is finished it just open gnubg and load the match played But is does not analyses. You have to do it yourself.
When you start gnubg.exe with the command -c <file with the command to gbubg> and you have the next lines in that file

import auto < File to open>
analyse match
save match <save analyse to>.sgf

It will analysed auto and saved

I have also a question
When i play a 1 point match and resign and the position is a gammon GreedyGammon asks me if i want to resign a gammon. I my opinion when a resign is a matchending resign it should be accepted in the first place unless a gammon or backgammon has an effect on the rating points which is as far i knows not the case

admin
Site Admin

yes, that is what i wanted to do initially but couldnt get it to work with the command line version. Now I used this feature and its good enough with just 2 clicks I dont have a problem with it. As for the "do you want to resign gammon" yes, techincally speaking it should not say gammon for 1 pt match but most players already know what they are resigning and dont even read that just click ok. So I think its not so big a problem to rush to fix. When everything is running smoothly I can fiddle with the bells and whistles. Not anywhere close to that yet. unfortunately.
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON

Return to “Announcements”