admin
Site Admin
Years playing backgammon: 20+ Learned to play on fibs.com playing bots and review with gnubg analysis FIBS rating 1750-1850

leave a blot

Here is a position that came up today. Playing red I rolled 6-1 and without so much as a second thought I took one off and lifted the blot up on to the already stacked 5 pt. A review of the match indicated that was an error (-0.074). 99 % of players would make this mistake as it is so non intuitive to make the correct play unless you are a top level player. The biggest threat when bearing off against a man on the bar is to leave a blot and get hit. So naturally we try to avoid getting hit. But in this case, if our opponent does indeed roll a 6, getting hit is exactly what we want as that would be the ONLY chance is to send a piece back, wait for him and wack him again when he tries to come back around. Trying to get hit when opponent has a blot in their home board is a common strategy but in this case the blot is actually the piece that is on the bar.
leaveablot.jpg
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON
No registration required!
Install and play backgammon against the computer!
Detailed how to installation guide with screenshots
Check out backgammonforums.com another nice bg forum

admin
Site Admin
Years playing backgammon: 20+ Learned to play on fibs.com playing bots and review with gnubg analysis FIBS rating 1750-1850

Re: leave a blot

So a couple of rolls later we got to this position and I redoubled to 4 (it was a 3 pt match score 0-0) . Not doubling would have been a .100 blunder. I actually have 70% winning chance from here. Correct cube double/take. He missed and I won the match woo hoo :D
take.jpg
sorry abuot the upside down examples. Its the way greedygammon saves it and ive become used to it.
DOWNLOAD GREEDYGAMMON
No registration required!
Install and play backgammon against the computer!
Detailed how to installation guide with screenshots
Check out backgammonforums.com another nice bg forum

Return to “Position Analysis”